Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer a Hot Gift for Girls
Designer nails no longer require a trip to the salon. Brian of Kids Tech Review tested the Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer at CES and called it “surprisingly cool and actually our favorite toy from CES.” The Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer allows children and adults to create thousands of designs and print those designs directly on their nails. Most girls enjoy a little girl time with friends, and even occasionally with mom, doing makeovers and manicures, and this digital printer allows for more creative manicures.
Basics of the Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer Gift for Girls
The Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer by Mattel, INC prints creative designs on finger nails. The printer comes with software that is easily installed on a PC using either Windows Vista or Windows XP. After installing the software and printer drivers, you connect the printer to computer using the provided USB cord, and you are ready to go.
The printer has a built-in camera that captures an image of the nail and shows the nail on the computer screen. You then create the design directly on the image of the nail ensuring that the sizing and dimensions are correct. When the design is complete, you prepare your finger nail by first painting the nail with the included white base coat polish and pre-print clear coat, then insert your finger into the printer and your design is printed directly on the nail. Finish with a protective top coat to ensure longevity of your custom design.
Positive Features of the Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer Toy for Girls
The Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer has a wealth of possibilities. Girls, and even boys if they are so inclined, are limited only by their imaginations.
- Personal images can be scanned and uploaded to be used in the design opening up endless possibilities.
- Thousands of designs are included in the software that comes with the printer.
- Printing takes only about 20 seconds to complete.
- The design stays in place for a few days, about the same time any other manicure would be expected to remain intact.
- Easy to install software means that the printer is ready to go quickly, and the first trial run takes only minutes to setup.
- The design easily wipes away if you do not like the way it printed and you are free to try again.
- Slumber party manicures will never be the same again.
Negative Aspects of the Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer Girl’s Toy
The Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer is a relatively new toy, and as with any new gadget it has kinks that have not yet been worked out.
- As expected, any movement will smear the image as it prints, so it is not appropriate to be used by younger children. Of course younger children can use the product, but the results may not be ideal. The recommended age for the printer is 8 and up.
- The printer is ultimately a toy, and as a toy, it is relatively expensive at $179.99 from Toys R Us, but has been recently discounted to $149.99.
- Replacement ink costs $29.99 and is currently only available for purchase from the Mattel Store. Replacement nail polish kits, which include the white base coat, pre-print clear coat, and protective top coat costs $6.00 and is also only available from the Mattel Store.
- The printer is incompatible with Windows 7, and Mattel has not yet made any promises, hints, or suggestions that this incompatibility will be resolved. The printer requires the use of Windows XP or Windows Vista.
- Getting the printer to line up and print correctly on the finger nail can take a bit of practice, but it is not impossible. Most will be able to get it to work properly after the first few attempts.
- One person alone will have a more difficult time operating the printer than two people working together. Someone working the computer for the person enjoying the manicure sometimes is more efficient. The added benefit of this negative is that parents can enjoy this activity with their children, or friends can work on each others nails, instead of a lone child doing it herself. It is not impossible to print the design yourself; it is just easier, and more fun, to do it together.
Many young girls love to polish their nails and the Barbie Doll’d Up Nails Digital Printer allows young girls to unleash their creativity on their nails. Even adults will enjoy the versatility, and the ocassional addition of a little special touch to their manicures. Designer nails are now as easy as chosing a design and pressing a print button.